Tuesday, September 05, 2006

a preventable tragedy

The death of the Ramirez children in Saturday's fire is a heartbreaking tragedy. I wish the family could have asked for and gotten help to keep their electricity turned on. I wish that those children could be at school today, living normal lives. But wishes won't bring them back.

I wonder if we'll ever know the answers to a few key questions. Exactly how did the fire start? Why were there no smoke detectors? Given Jay Johnson's track record in the neighborhood, and his consistent pattern of problem buildings, code violations, and broken promises, I have to wonder.

Sun-Times article 9/5/06

Tribune article 9/5/06

Donations of food, household goods or money to the Ramirez Family Fund can be made in person at the Howard Area Community Center, 7648 N. Paulina St.

The family has also established a fund with Chase Bank in the name of Yadira I. Ramirez.

1 comment:

Thomas Westgard said...

You know Toni Duncan has been looking for personal experiences / anecdotes about Jay Johnson and how he manages his buildings? Johnson has been touting his clean record and telling the papers what a great landlord he is.

If you know different, you should probably have a look at Toni's blog and call her or her reporters, or, if you prefer, call Julie at the Howard Hellhole. If you have any trouble reaching either of them, let me know via email (look at my profile by clicking on my name) and I'll send you contact info.